Beginners Guide to Spiritual Growth and Development
Spiritual Growth and Development
If you’re going to demand growth of yourself, then you need a reliable yet easy way to self-assess how you’re actually doing. The best way to track your progress is to breakdown your development into 5 areas;
In this blog we’re going to focus on Spiritual Growth and Development.
A lot of people think the word ‘spiritual’ has to have some sort of religious connotation associated with it but that’s not necessarily the case. In fact, the freer your mind is from any concepts, the easier it is to make progress.
Spiritual growth is about discovering more about ourselves as a person in order to grow and to lead a more balanced life. It’s about being in harmony with our feelings, our physical being and our mind but with our soul (or spirit) also.
It’s the process of shedding our wrong and unreal concepts, thoughts, beliefs and ideas, and becoming more conscious and aware of our inner being, which can sometimes be lost underneath the persona we project to the world. It’s about going beyond the mind and the ego and realising who you really are.
Achieving Spiritual growth doesn’t mean behaving in a strange and weird manner or becoming an impractical person, it is more a method of growing and becoming a stronger, happier and a more responsible person.
People are very different from one another, and what works for one, might not work for another, so you must explore the various techniques and ways for personal growth to find what is suitable for you.
Tips for Personal and Spiritual Growth
Spiritual growth can help you in all areas of your life. It can help you at work. It can change your attitude toward work, and therefore, open new opportunities for advancement.
- Reading spiritual books is a good starting point to help you learn how to calm down your mind and emotions. These types of books also have information on how you can reduce stress and nervousness, if these are some of the things you suffer with.
- Try to focus on the positives to help stop you dwelling on worries and fears. A wise man once said ‘worry Is a down-payment on a problem you may never have’ meaning you could be getting stressed and worked up over something that may never happen.
- It goes without saying that you’re not always going to have a life that runs completely smoothly but you should train yourself so that as soon as any negative thoughts or feelings enter into your mind, you consciously take the decision to replace them with positive ones. This will instil a feeling of calm and happiness within you.
- It doesn’t matter what kind of life you’ve led up until now. Perhaps, you have run your life in a very selfish manner thus far or perhaps your whole life career has been motivated by financial gains? It really doesn’t matter what your past has been, you can still make a change.
- Learn techniques on how to calm you mind. Meditation is a good way of destressing. Focus on your beathing – in through the nose and out through the mouth. Try to find 15 minutes a day where you can escape from the day to day rat race and just focus on yourself.
- Develop the ‘happiness habit.’ Always try look at the bright side of life and strive to see the good, funny and positive in everything
- Acknowledge that happiness comes from within you, so try not to allow negative thoughts and feelings to fill your mind. Don’t let external circumstances that you may have little control over, decide your happiness.
- Try to be more assertive and make your own decisions in matters that relate to you personally. This will strengthen you and give you more control over your mind.
You should now have a better idea on what is spiritual growth but remember your individual journey of growth will not have a predefined path. There are no hard and fast rules as to what you should or shouldn’t do – it’s personal to you and your life. It can simply be about changing the way you think or react to different scenarios to ensure a better outcome, or it could mean a full overhaul of how you live day to day.
When it comes to your own spiritual growth, ask yourself things like;
- Do I regularly take time for self-care, meditation, prayer and/or mindfulness?
- Do I try to understand individuals who have different beliefs than me?
- Do I accept my imperfections?
- Do I have goals?
- Do I have a clear sense of purpose in my life?
If the answer to any of these questions is NO, then you have a starting point on improving your spiritual growth and wellbeing.
Once you start to concentrate and be more aware of your spiritual side, you’ll start to see a lot of benefits including things like;
- You can rise above negative feelings and thoughts
- You will awaken feelings of happiness and bliss within you.
- You’ll be able to stay calm and not to allow circumstances and situations to affect your state of mind.
- You will become a more patient and tolerant person.
- Your inner strength and confidence will grow.
- Leaving your comfort zone and having new experiences will excite you
- You’ll be able to see things more clearly and as they really are, without always suspecting the worse.
Once the changes relating to your spiritual growth start to manifest, you’ll feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders. It’s like living your life behind closed curtains but then finally seeing the sun.
Think about things that captivate your mind and your imagination and try to discover what it is that makes you feel a heightened sense of consciousness and the feeling of being truly ‘alive’. Many people have suggested that considering yourself as a spirit who happens to have a physical body as opposed to a body with a spirit can have dramatically powerful and positive effects on the way you view both yourself and the world around you.
Successful personal and spiritual growth does require motivation, the desire to improve, and the willingness to strive to make changes, so you’ll need to be dedicated to the cause. Keep an open mind and embrace changes that you would maybe usually shy away from, in order to open up a new world to you.
Other Ways to Improve Your Spiritual Wellbeing
- Try Yoga. Yoga is a physical technique that can help improve your spiritual wellness by reducing emotional and physical strains on your mind and body. Yoga is taught at all different levels and can help lower stress, boost the immune system, and lower blood pressure as well as reduce anxiety, depression, fatigue, and insomnia.
- Travel. It’s true! Taking time for yourself to travel to a comforting place or somewhere new can do wonders for your mind. When you are at a place where your mind can keep out distractions and help you reflect and rest, you will have a better connection with yourself. This allows you to weed out stressors and set your mind on the right path for overall wellness.
- Take Time to Meditate. While managing your time and daily tasks can be hard, it is crucial to devote time to connecting with yourself. Whether in the morning when you wake up, during your lunch break, or before you go to sleep, take five to 10 minutes to meditate each day. Fitting mediation and relaxation into your lifestyle will free your mind and foster a stronger relationship with your spiritual wellness.
- Explore Your Spiritual Core. By exploring your spiritual core, you are simply asking yourself questions about the person you are and your meaning. Ask yourself: Who am I? What is my purpose? What do I value most? These questions will lead you down a road where you will think more in-depth about yourself and allow you to notice things about yourself that will help you achieve fulfilment.
- Think Positively. Once you start viewing things in your life in a positive manner, you will find yourself thinking differently and refocusing your mind to a happy, healthy place. When you eliminate negativity and re-frame how you think of certain things and situations, you’ll notice yourself being more relaxed.
If you’re embarking on your own spiritual growth journey, we’d love to hear about your progress in the comments section below
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases
123-success.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.