Top 10 Personal Development Quotes to Get You Out of a Rut
Motivation is the key to getting out of a rut, and it’s what pushes us to achieve our goals, feel more fulfilled and improve our overall quality of life.
Motivation is one of the three areas of personal skills that are integral to the concept of emotional intelligence. Understanding and developing your self-motivation can help you to take control of many other aspects of your life.
The Elements of Self-Motivation
Personal Drive to Achieve
You could think of a personal drive to achieve as ambition, or perhaps personal empowerment. However, it is also worth thinking about it in terms of mindset.
There are two types of mindset, fixed and growth.
- Those with a fixed mindset believe that talent is ingrained, and that we cannot change our level of ability.
- Those with a growth mindset believe that they can improve their skills through hard work and effort.
Research shows that those who believe that they can improve—that is, who have a growth mindset—are far more likely to achieve in whatever sphere they choose. A growth mindset is therefore an important element in a personal drive to succeed.Commitment to Goals
There is considerable evidence, even if much of it is anecdotal, that goal-setting is important to our general well-being.
It certainly makes sense that ‘if you aim at nothing, it is easy to achieve it’, and that most of us need something in our lives to aim towards. Having an awareness of where you wish to be, and an understanding of how you plan to get there, is a vital part of staying motivated.Initiative
Initiative is, effectively, the ability to take advantage of opportunities when they occur.
It is all too easy to hesitate, and then the opportunity may be gone. However, the old sayings ‘look before you leap’ and ‘fools rush in where angels fear to tread’ have a lot of truth in them. It is also important to think things through and ensure that you are making the right decision for you.
Initiative can therefore be considered as a combination of courage and good risk management:
- Risk management is necessary to ensure that you identify the right opportunities to consider, and that they have the appropriate level of risk for you; and
- Courage is necessary to overcome the fear of the unknown inherent in new opportunities.Optimism or Resilience
Optimism is the ability to look on the bright side, or think positively. Resilience is the ability to ‘bounce back’ after a setback, or keep positive in the face of challenges. The two are closely related, although not exactly the same.
Resilient people use their ability to think as a way to manage negative emotional responses to events. In other words, they use positive or rational thinking to examine, and if necessary, overcome reactions that they understand may not be entirely logical. They are also prepared to ask for help if necessary—as well as to offer their own help generously to others in need.
One of my favourite ways to boost my motivation on those ‘meh’ kind of days is read some inspirational quotes.
Here are some of the best quotes about being stuck in a difficult situation, and stuck in a rut quotes for those days when you need a spark of inspiration, or even just a laugh!
10 Quotes About Being Stuck in Life
- Fear is the glue that keeps you stuck. Faith is the solvent that sets you free.
- If it’s not right, keep editing until it is. ~ Life
- Growth is painful. Change is painful. But, nothing is as painful as staying stuck where you do not belong.
- Fear is often our immediate response to uncertainty. There’s nothing wrong with experiencing fear. They key is not to get stuck in it.
- If you’re going through something, just know that you’re going to come out on the other side. You’re going through it – you’re not stuck there forever.
- Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it’s no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing.
- If you get stuck, draw with a different pen. Change your tools; it may free your thinking. Paul Arden
- Diamonds are nothing more than chunks of coal that stuck to their jobs.
- The greatest things in life tend to happen outside our comfort zones, and doubting your ability to step outside of your comfort zone will keep you stuck.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done
10 Funny Stuck at Home Quotes
- The shortest four-word horror story for working people: One more quarantine month!
- There are two types of people in the world: People who love quarantine and people who are forced to love quarantine.
- Quarantine has given me a License to chill.
- Let’s be honest, social distancing from a few certain people has been nice.
- Not to brag, but I used hand sanitiser before it was popular
- First time in history we can save the human race by lying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let’s not screw this up.
- When you’re on day 2 of your self quarantine but on your 8th bottle of wine
- Strange times for cats. First the dogs kept inside, now the humans. Must feel like they’ve won.
- COVID spelt backwards is DIVOC and what DIVOC is going on?
- Jan, Feb, March, *blink* December – 2020 in a nutshell!
Take It One Step at a Time…
Becoming self-motivated, or even just improving your self-motivation a little, will not happen overnight.
There are many skills involved, and you cannot expect to develop them all instantly. However, a better understanding of the elements of motivation, and particularly how they fit together, should help to increase your skills. Just remember, Rome was not built in a day: think about making progress over a long period of time and in small steps.
If you have you own way of staying motivated, or have a favourite quote we’d love to hear about it in the comments section below.
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases
123-success.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.